Kingston is among the most expensive cities to live in Ontario. Living expenses Such as taxes and rents, child care, food and transportation are too high.
My solution is to implement strategies to bring the cost of living as measured by the living wage down below the minimum wage. The four biggest expenses for a family in Kingston in order are shelter, child care, food and transportation.
1) changes in development charges and impost fees to favour intensive growth rather than extensive growth.
2) encourage with tax break and/or education the development of in-law suites in homes to help bring multi-generational families together and/or to supplement the income of fixed income older adults.
3) changes in the height and density bonus regime to reward intensive growth along main thoroughfares.
4) support or incentivize organizations that build and provide low income housing and/or better terms on mortgages to people.
1) support community gardens and local farmer's markets.
1) expand the express bus system; including smaller buses for feeder lines.
2) expand park and ride to reduce the need for extended trips and reduce commuter demand for downtown parking.
3) expand alternative means of transportation.