People do not want to go downtown because: 1) acceptable parking is too hard to find; 2) Parking garages are too ugly and scary; 3) Parking is expensive compared to suburban parking; 4) It is hard or inconvenient to get downtown.
1) Level the playing field in parking costs between the downtown and the suburbs.
2) Ensure people can get downtown easily, safely, comfortably, cheaply and conveniently through improved public transit.
3) Reduce full day commuter traffic with more park and rides and better public transit.
4) Provide amenities for multiple transport options including auto, public transit, bike and foot traffic.
5) Promote intensification of residential development above commercial.
6) Provide help and incentives to make downtown more accessible.
7) Limit new commercial growth until the downtown is full again.
8) Try to discourage or get rid of foreign chain stores that take their profit out of the community.
9) No to new foreign big box stores.
10) Programs to encourage and educate on the benefits of buying from local business and hiring local labour.
11) Clean up and brighten up the parking garages to make them attractive, safe accessible and convenient.
12) Set up a one-stop-shop website for all things Kingston including business activities and how to start a business.